Register for Leadership Day
The following link will take you to the ePly Online Event Registration form.
The following link will take you to an ePly website page where you can view your registration information once you have already registered and received a login password.
October 18, 2017
Keynote • Dylan Wiliam
Creating the Schools Our Children Need
Why what we are doing right now won't help much, and what we can do instead.
School leaders are faced with a bewildering range of options for improving schools, but these options vary greatly in their impact on student achievement, their cost, and the kinds of supports that are needed for effective implementation.
In this presentation, Dylan Wiliam will describe how current efforts at reform, such as professional teaching standards and curriculum development, can be focused to maximize their impact on student achievement. The presentation will also discuss the limitations of meta-analysis as a way of synthesizing research in education, the role that assessment plays in helping school leaders monitor their progress towards their goals, the power of curriculum development as one of the most cost-effective changes that schools can make to improve student achievement, and ways in which parents and carers can support the changes needed.
Audience: Jurisdiction Leadership Teams & School Leaders
Note: This year, school jurisdictions are not limited in the number of delegates they can register as long as there is space available in the conference.
Leadership Day Agenda
Wednesday, October 18 - Radisson Hotel - Edmonton South
8:00 am - 9:00 am Breakfast and Registration
9:00 am – 11:45 am Keynote Address • Dylan Wiliam
11:45 am – 12:30 pm Lunch (provided)
12:45 pm – 3:15 pm Keynote Address (continued)
Dylan Wiliam is Emeritus Professor of Educational Assessment at University College London. After a first degree in mathematics and physics, and one year teaching in a private school, he taught in inner-city schools in London for seven years.
In 1984 he joined Chelsea College, University of London, which later merged with King's College London. From 1996 to 2001 he was the Dean of the School of Education at King’s, and from 2001 to 2003, Assistant Principal of the College. In 2003 he moved to the USA, as Senior Research Director at the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, NJ. From 2006 to 2010 he was Deputy Director of the Institute of Education, University of London.
During his academic career, he has written over 300 books, chapters and articles including a major review of research on formative assessment coauthored with Paul Black.
Over the last 15 years, his academic work has focused on the use of assessment to support learning (sometimes called formative assessment). He now lives in Princeton, New Jersey and works with groups of teachers all over the world on developing formative assessment practices.
Leadership Day Fees
AAC Member: $250
AAC Non-Member: $375
Registration Guidelines and Refund Policy
- Payment is required by credit card at the time of registration.
- There are no refunds on individual registrations; however, substitutions can be made at any time without penalty.
Radisson Hotel Edmonton South
4440 Gateway Blvd
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6H 5C2
- Individuals may use the following link to reserve a guest room online - https://www.radisson.com/aac.
- Individuals may also contact the Hotel directly at 780-437-6010 or through their toll free number at 1-800-333-3333. Ask for the Alberta Assessment Consortium conference rate.
- Individual rooms must be guaranteed by a valid credit card for late arrival at the time of making the reservations.
- The hotel will honor reservations received by 09/18/2017. Reservations received after this date are subject to space and rate availability.
Guest Room Rates and Special Agreements
- Signature 2 Queen Beds-Non-smoking - Single or Double Rate $122
- Signature 1 King Bed-Pullout-Non-smoking - Single or Double Rate $122
Complimentary for Registered Guests
- Wi-Fi High speed internet access (both wired and wireless)
- Local calls & 1-800 access
- Use of Athletic Club
- Access to Business Services 24/7
- In-room coffee, tea, iron/ironing board
- Fridges in every guest room
- All individual guestroom cancellations must be received by the hotel Reservations Department by 3 pm on the day of arrival. Failure to cancel a guaranteed reservation by 3 pm on the day of arrival, or failure to occupy the room will result in a charge of one night’s room and tax.
Check In/Check Out
- The hotel’s check in time is 4:00 pm, and check out is by 12:00 pm. Guests arriving prior to 4:00 pm will be accommodated as rooms become available.
- A credit card will be requested at time of check-in for all guests registering. The credit card will be pre-authorized for incidentals at $100.00/day in addition to the room & tax charges of the entire stay.